Saturday, July 31, 2010

R&B singe Mary J. Blige gained her third numbe...Image via Wikipedia
Mary J. Blige


Mary J. Blige was a artist that I didn’t particularly like when she firstcame on the music scene. To me she didn’t really have the chops, she sung off key to me. Her live performances really sucked, I saw hear perform on
the Grammy awards in 1997 she sung “Not Gon’ Cry” she was so off key I couldn’t stand it.

Mary J. was the second of four children her mother was a nurse and her father was a jazz musician. Mary J’s father taught her to sing, he should have given her voice lessons. Mary J. signed with Uptown record when she
was 17 years old, but her singing career consists of back ground vocals.

Mary J’s first debut was in the summer of 1992 on MTV, "What’s the 411?" album was released. “You Remind Me” was her first single it was alright, it sounded better on the radio, but it was something about her voice. When
Sean “Puffy” Combs hailed her as “the queen of hip-hop soul” I said really! Mary J used to be a Information Directory operator, that’s how "What’s the 411?", album came about. Her second album “My Life” was more painful and real, I don’t mean the singing but the lyrics in the songs,
like “Not Gon’ Cry”, “I’ll Be there For You” and “My Life”. Mary J later admitted that she dealing with a abusive relationship with boyfriend Ci Hailey of Jodeci, drug addiction, alcoholism and depression.

Mary J won her first Grammy Award for Best Rap Performance by a Duo or Group for platinum single “I’ll Be There For You","You’re All I Need to Get
By”,  with Method Man. Mary J’s third album Share My World had five hit singles “Love Is All We Need” (featuring Nas), “I Can Love You”( featuring Lil’ Kim), “Everything”, Missing You”(UK only) and “Seven Days.” Mary J won a American Music Award for “Favorite Soul/R&B Album.”

I started liking Mary J Blige when her last six albums came out “Mary”,“No More Drama”, “Love & Life”, “Breakthrough”, “Growing Pains” and “Stronger with Each Tear”. Mary J won me over. Mary J’s will always be apart of history, with her performance at the Presidential Inauguration
Celebration performing “Lean on Me” and “Just Fine” was inspiring. Mary J Blige’s is a singer, producer, songwriter, actress and rapper. I can say since she has paid her dues she can be crowned the Queen of Hip-Hop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_J._Blige

LM
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment